Sunday, May 10, 2009

Curtains for Jazz


A friend had some sheer curtains in a very interesting fabric, but they had no hem! After many years of them shortening from the bottom as the threads pulled away one by one, she got tired of trimming the fringe, and asked if I would be able to hem them. I hadn't thought to make a "before" photo, but here's the "after". The stripes of the ironing board below obscure the stripes of the fabric, but do demonstrate the sheer curtains. I did a "blind" hem, so only a couple of the stitches show through, with most of the sewing happening on the part that gets folded under. Choosing thread for this one was difficult because of the sheer fabric, but I think that the tan I eventually went with was the best choice. This was also a huge effort in basting -- three basted folds for each hem! Perhaps I went a bit overboard with my perfectionism :)

No comments:

Post a Comment